Nicotine Gum 101: How to Stop Smoking Using Nicotine Gum
If you are a smoker, at one point or another, you have questioned your smoking habits and considered stopping smoking altogether. If you studied your options well, you will know that nicotine gums could be your best bet in achieving a smoking-free lifestyle.
Continue reading this post to uncover some answers to the most common questions on nicotine gums.
What is nicotine chewing gum180?
Nicotine gum is a type of medication known as a “smoking cessation aid.” It works by supplying nicotine to your body in order to reduce the withdrawal symptoms associated with quitting smoking and as a substitute for oral activity in order to reduce the desire to smoke181. In simpler words, nicotine gum is used to help people stop smoking.
How do you use nicotine gum?
The nicotine gum is available in two strengths (2 mg and 4 mg). To make sure you use the right dose, you need to identify how much you smoke regularly and when your first cigarette of the day is. You can reduce the dosage as you go until you no longer need the gum.
Try to predict when you might crave a cigarette and then use a piece of gum before the craving occurs. To ensure that your body receives enough nicotine to reduce the withdrawal symptoms of smoking, you might chew up to nine gums per day for a period of six weeks.
Acidic foods and drinks can prevent the gum from working. So, do not eat or drink for 15 minutes before using the nicotine gum and during your use.
There is a particular technique to follow when chewing nicotine gum. The steps are listed for you below:
- Bite down on the gum slowly until you feel a tingling sensation in your mouth.
- Parked the nicotine gum between the inside of your cheek and your gums.
- Hold it for a minute to allow the nicotine to absorb into your system.
- Repeat the "chew" and "park" process until the tingling stop.
- Change where you "park" the gum in your mouth every now and then.
What are the ingredients of nicotine gum?
The active, most important, and basic ingredient in nicotine gums is nicotine polacrilex. Nicotine polacrilex is the generic name of nicotine gums. It is found in most, if not all, smoking cessation over-the-counter products.
Are nicotine gums safe?
A longitudinal, 5-year study182 with a sample of 3,094 participants conducted on the safety of nicotine gum revealed that there was no link between Nicotine polacrilex (NP)use, dose, or simultaneous use of NP and cigarettes in terms of hospitalization for cardiovascular diseases or mortality. About a quarter of NP users experienced at least one adverse effect, with the majority of them being minor and temporary. Headache, indigestion, mouth irritation, mouth ulcers, and nausea were among the side symptoms related to stopping NP in around 5% of users. Participants in the smoking cessation intervention who got thorough NP education and monitoring reported considerably less adverse effects, such as dizziness, headache, and throat discomfort than control volunteers, who were thought to have had less guidance and supervision.
What are the benefits of nicotine gum?
Studies have found that nicotine gums are beneficial in stopping smoking183. That, in itself, is one of the most prominent benefits of nicotine gums.
Studies on nicotine gum’s effectiveness have been an area of interest for researchers for quite some time now. In a review of 33 studies on nicotine gums, a researcher184 reported that nicotine gum outperformed placebo and no-gum controls at both intervals. The good effects of nicotine gum in smoking cessation are better achieved as a result of an interaction between the gum's pharmacological qualities and the efficacy of intensive treatment tactics.
In a more recent study185, researchers reported that there were 2713 temptation experiences (wanting to smoke) reported by participants, 46.0 percent of which resulted in smoking (lapsing). When compared to placebo, consuming nicotine gum reduced the risk of quitting by 55%.
Our NICORETTE® Freshmint Gums, which come in both 2mg & 4ng, have been proven quite effective to help smokers quit smoking.
On a final note, all forms of nicotine replacement therapy, according to studies, can help you quit smoking for good and can more than double your chances of success. The extent to which it is beneficial is determined by the amount of additional support you receive in relation to quitting. Get ready to embark on a smoking-free and healthier lifestyle.
Also, read to know more on Nicotine Gum vs. Nicotine Patch and which one will be more effective for you to aid your smoke-free journey here.
Our aim at Nicorette is to help you quit smoking for good. Find more blogs from our medical professionals and understand why you should embrace your smoke-free journey with us.
- 180 https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/quit-smoking/quit-smoking-medications/how-to-use-quit-smoking-medicines/how-to-use-nicotine-gum.html
- 181 https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a684056.html#:~:text=Nicotine%20chewing%20gum%20is%20used%20to%20help%20people%20stop%20smoking%20cigarettes.&text=Nicotine%20gum%20is%20in%20a,reduce%20the%20urge%20to%20smoke
- 182 Murray, R. P., Bailey, W. C., Daniels, K., Bjornson, W. M., Kurnow, K., Connett, J. E., ... & Lung Health Study Research Group. (1996). Safety of nicotine polacrilex gum used by 3,094 participants in the Lung Health Study. Chest, 109(2), 438-445
- 183 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8614162/
- 184 Cepeda-Benito, A. (1993). Meta-analytical review of the efficacy of nicotine chewing gum in smoking treatment programs. Journal of consulting and clinical psychology, 61(5), 822
- 185 Shiffman, S., Ferguson, S. G., Mao, J., Scholl, S. M., Hedeker, D., & Tindle, H. A. (2020). Effectiveness of nicotine gum in preventing lapses in the face of temptation to smoke among non‐daily smokers: a secondary analysis. Addiction, 115(11), 2123-2129
Find the Right Product(s) for You
Answer a few short questions to find the right product(s) for you.
10 Tips to Stop Smoking
We understand that quitting smoking is one of the biggest challenges you’ll face. These tips will help keep you motivated and on track.